Friday, February 20, 2009

Stages of Grief

It's 10PM and I'm sitting in the dining room opposite my Mom's 24 hour crisis care Hospice nurse. It's quite disconcerting knowing that someone has put a limit on your Mom's life. It's surreal to think the breathing you hear coming through on the baby monitor may cease at any moment.

I've run a full gammut of emotions in the past 24 hours. I've been sad, happy, nostalgic, numb - but now I'm experiencing the worst one yet. Anger. What am I angry at? I don't even know. The world? Everything is making me angry. I know it's the grief but I have no control over my emotions right now. I feel so out of control and almost outside myself. I feel like I'm in a car spinning on ice.

I know what I'm going through is natural and normal but I don't want to go through this. I don't want to sit here and watch the life literally fade from her. I'm watching death happen. It's cruel.

I may feel different when the sun comes up but right now, I'm falling apart.

No comments: